This site uses cookies, your continued use implies you agree with our cookie policy.

Bedroom Tax FAQs

Bedroom Tax FAQs

Why has my Housing Benefit reduced?

From April 2013 all Local Authority tenants who have a spare bedroom will have to pay a ‘bedroom tax’.

What is the reduction?

The bedroom tax reduction is 14% for 1 bedroom and 25% for 2 bedrooms.

I can’t afford to pay my rent now, what do I do?

Your options are to move to a property appropriate to your needs.
Or you could take in a lodger, to do this you should speak to your neighbourhood manager as you will need their permission first. There are several things you need to think about if you are going to let someone rent a room in your home:


You need to think about whether it will affect any other benefits that you receive, such as means-tested benefits. Welfare benefits advisors can help you work out how these might be affected.

You need to think about whether it will affect any taxes that you pay. By letting furnished rooms in your home you can receive up to £4,250 a year tax-free (or £2,125 each if you are a couple letting jointly).

How many rooms in my house am I allowed?

One bedroom per couple;
One for any other adult aged 16 or over
One for any two children of the same sex under 16
One for any two children of different sex under 10
One for a carer (or team of carers) who is not resident but provides overnight care.

Where parents don’t live together but have shared access the children will be treated as living with the parent in receipt of child benefit.

Is Child Support counted as income for benefits?

Not for the majority of benefits such as for example,Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or for Tax Credits.

Most local authorities do not include Child Support payments as income when calculating housing benefit/ council tax benefit, but there are some which do.

Contact your own local authority to find out what they include as income.

Am I entitled to any benefits?

You can assess any benefit entitlement and how to make a claim at

Read more about Bedroom Tax.

< Back to Housing