This site uses cookies, your continued use implies you agree with our cookie policy.

My Ex is Harassing or Pestering Me

My Ex is Harassing or Pestering Me

If your ex partner is harassing or pestering, behaving in a threatening way towards you either in person, phone, text or email and the police are unable to do anything then you should ask a solicitor about obtaining a Non-Molestation Order.

A non-molestation order means an order containing either or both of the following provisions:

  1. provision prohibiting a person ("the respondent") from molesting another person who is associated* with the respondent;
  2. provision prohibiting the respondent from molesting a relevant child.

* Being "associated" with a respondent means you are or have been married or had planned to marry them, you live or lived in the same house, or they are a relative.)

The court may make a non-molestation order even though the respondent has not been given notice of the proceedings. This is called an ex-parte application. In determining whether to exercise this power the court shall have regard to all the circumstances including:

  1. any risk of significant harm to the applicant or a relevant child, attributable to conduct of the respondent, if the order is not made immediately;
  2. whether it is likely that the applicant will be deterred or prevented from pursuing the application if an order is not made immediately; and
  3. whether there is reason to believe that the respondent is aware of the proceedings but is deliberately evading service and that the applicant or a relevant child will be seriously prejudiced by the delay involved.

If you are in a situation where you are considering applying to the courts then you should seek legal advice. You may be eligible for legal help/legal aid which would cover the costs of the application if you have evidence of previous domestic violence.

< Back to Legal