Benefits available for single parents going back to work
Your benefits will not necessarily stop when you go back to work. See below for what you may be entitled to:
When you work less than 16 hours per week
- You will still get Income Support/JSA and housing benefit.
- But if you are earning more than £20 per week your income support/JSA or housing benefit will be reduced according to the amount you are earning.
When you work more than 16 hours per week
- Most single parents are better off if they work over 16 hours a week.
- You can apply for child tax credit and working tax credit which you get on top of your wages.
- You can get money toward childcare.
- You might still get some housing benefit if your income is low.
How much tax credit will I get if I go back to work?
- It depends how many hours you work and how much you get paid.
- It is very important to find out the amount tax credits you will get before you take a job. You can do this by calling 0800 300 3900.
For further information visit - Advice Guide