div id="user-info" class="buttons"> RegisterLog in

Single mum after being with partner for 16 years...




This week I have become a single parent after being with my partner for 16 years, I have a 7 year old daughter and have not got a clue if what any benefits I can claim.  I feel like my right arm has been chopped off as my partner provided most of the financial help since I went part time at work when my child was born. 

Posted on: August 15, 2010 - 9:26pm

Hi Judeb, Welcome along to One Space. I am so sorry that you now find yourself a single parent. I haven't been in your position, but I'm guessing that it depends on your circumstances as to what you're entitled too. Someone with a bit more knowledge of these things will be along at some point, so please keep checking in.

How is your 7 year old doing? How are you coping with things? Take care, and I look forward to getting to know you.


Posted on: August 16, 2010 - 8:22am


Hi Judeb

This is the link to the money page, which could well help.


As you're working part time you could be entitled to working tax credit and children's tax credit.  You could well get help with child care costs and rent.

We understand how devastating this is.

Looking forward to getting to know you too.  This board really is brilliant with support and advice.

Posted on: August 16, 2010 - 9:05am

Parenting specialist DoppleMe

Hello Judeb

First of all welcome to One Space. There is lots of support and information here. Hope you and your daughter are coping OK

You're right, there is a lot of information you need right now and I don't want to overwhelm you so maybe you could just start with two things: legal advice and money information. You do need to speak to a solicitor to find out your position, find one local to you by clicking here. Secondly, money. If you work 16 hours or more then you will be able to claim Working Tax Credit. Phone your local Job Centre Plus and they should be able to tell you what you can claim and they will handle most of the claim (Working Tax credit is centralised but the Job Centre will probably have a supply of forms, they will tell you all that when you get in touch) Find out more about Job Centre Plus by clicking here

So we look forward to getting to know you, it is a friendly and supportive site and we hope you stay with us!

Posted on: August 16, 2010 - 9:13am

Parenting specialist DoppleMe

Hi Judeb

Welcome, regarding benefits have a look at our Benefits page, we also have info about Tax Credits too.

You might want to get personal 1-2-1 confidential email advice regarding benefits advice, debt, housing or CSA.

How are you coping with life at the moment?  Was the separation imminent?

Posted on: August 20, 2010 - 3:12pm


Hi Judeb,

Welcome to One Space.

How are you and your little one managing the change in your situation. It can be such a lot to deal with, on top of the trauma of a break-up suddenly there are money issues too. I hope your finding the links helpful.


Posted on: August 24, 2010 - 8:14pm