This site uses cookies, your continued use implies you agree with our cookie policy.

Emergency Food over Christmas

Emergency Food over Christmas

Do you need a Foodbank?

If you struggle to afford to feed your family over the Christmas period, you are not alone, unfortunately benefit cuts have hit us single parents the hardest & left us reaching crisis point. Don't feel ashamed and don't despair, help is at hand, you can contact your local Foodbank.

Foodbanks are run by a number of charities, but the biggest and most widespread is the Trussel Trust, who provide emergency food to whoever might be in need of it.

To get emergency food, you will need to present a voucher.

Find your Local Foodbank and get in contact with them, they will tell you that you need to present a voucher, but let you know which organisations or charities they work with in your area.

How do I get Foodbank voucher?

Contact your Local Foodbank to find out which local organisations and charities (referral agencies) can assess your needs and be able to give you a voucher. Vouchers can also be obtained from doctors, social workers or health visitors, job centres, schools, Citizens Advice Bureau and the Salvation Army.

The foodbank and referral agency use the voucher to gather some basic information. This will help them to identify the cause of the crisis, offer practical guidance and prepare suitable emergency food.

There are no set criteria for who is eligible to receive the vouchers

What can I receive?

Those who present a voucher at a Foodbank can exchange it for a three-day supply of food and toiletries, although the exact amount depends on how many people there are in your family to support.

What happens next?

Volunteers will meet you for a chat over a cup of tea or free hot meal at your local Foodbank. They will be able to signpost you to other helpful services.

A few Foodbanks also run a rural delivery service, which takes emergency foodboxes to clients living in rural areas who cannot afford to get to a Foodbank.

Other local Foodbanks

If you can't find a Trussell Trust foodbank near you, visit your local church or community centre, who may be able to help or you can contact your local council and ask if there is an alternative foodbank near you and what other help may be available.

Getting other emergency help

Your council, your local Citizens Advice Bureau or another local charity will also know about what other help may be available in your area. This could include things like:

  • a soup kitchen
  • a place to go for breakfast or a hot meal
  • emergency breakfast for children
  • a supplier of second-hand furniture or household appliances

< Back to Christmas